I've noticed overall that education is much more relaxed here. Here's a breakdown of the educational path of a Brit:
- Primary-High School: from 5-16 years old
- Then you can choose what you want to do after that...College is two or so years, sometimes on a specific course (i.e. art, psychology, etc.)
- Then you can go to university...Uni is usually 3 years
Everyone gets loans for uni (on a sliding scale) that is dispersed in the beginning of the semester, so a lot of spending happens when the students get their money at the beginning of the semester. And overall, it's about 3000 pounds/year (about $5000)...cheap by our standards! Some people hang around, maybe working, maybe not, for a few years before uni so the age range of students here is about 18-27.
Attitudes are just different than what I'm used to. The other day I went for a run around the town and I got looks as if I were streaking down the street- fitness must be a thing kept inside gyms (if at all). But with all the alcohol consumption and chip (french fry)-eating, my time abroad might cost my about 30 pounds if I'm not conscious of it!
Music is decent here. They're big on Kings of Leon and that type of pop/rock. Lots of American tunes...I even heard Chris Brown bumping through the walls of my flat, coming from the room of Liam who likes Judas Priest and Alice in Chains, wears a leather waistcoat (vest), and has flowing, frizzy black locks.
And everyone here smokes...and litters. People throw gum wrappers on the street like it's nothing and cigarette butts are all over the place. Luckily, the UK banned smoking in restaurants and bars or else I'd be picking up a bit of lung cancer during my time here!

No comments:
Post a Comment