Monday, February 2, 2009

One Month In

It's a typical Monday in Preston except that instead of rain, we have snow flurries! I asked some friends if they had snow plows here and they laughed in my face- then proceeded to tell me that The Simpsons is the only reason they know what a plow is. Needless to say it doesn't snow here a lot.

I spent a lazy weekend in Preston; waking up in the afternoon, doing a few errands, working out, going out. A few of us made the trek to the WalMart subsidiary, ASDA, and although I loathe WalMart, I must say it was nice to have a store that had more than a smattering of random items- it was actually a little overwhelming. An English girl we met on the bus said she remembers the first time she went to ASDA because it was her first experience with an all-in-one superstore...So they haven't really infiltrated life in England yet.  

So it's true I'm only in class eight hours a week, but I do have work outside of that...I spent this Friday "on location" in Haslam Park for the photo shoot we organized in my Fashion and Brand Promotion course. We had to put together a photo shoot based on a trend for autumn/fall 2009 and I was lucky to have an amazing group. We created four look based on the story of a girl who has just survived a crisis (like the economic crisis happening now) and is stranded in the woods with the impractical accessories her instincts told her to bring. We used a friend of a group member as the model and the department's photographer. I'll post the pics once we have them touched up and ready, but this is one of our locations:


I've been learning how to use the Dubied knitting machines in my Intro to Creative Knit course. I'm thankful that I found this course because I think it's going to be a great fit with my interests. We're creating a booklet of all the different stitches the machines can create and then designing a line of 6 accessories based on a certain theme. Right now I'm thinking of integrating some eco fashion in there and using recycled materials. It's been fun searching for knit trends to add to my inspiration folder- my blog reading finally has a purpose! Here's a photo of the machines we use...

I have a weekend trip to London planned for this Friday-Monday with Toni. We're going to go with our friend Raji and will stay at his home there. I'm happy to experience London with someone who has grown up there...can't wait! 



1 comment:

  1. Yay I'm so excited for you! I hope you hunted down some good coffee, because it's all instant all the way here...no good. P.S. My homestay mama is like your crafting dream...be jealous. I'll try to get some pictures for you. Gah class time LOVE you!

    ReplyDelete